Pages

Friday, December 10, 2010

TOS Review - "Good Morning, God"

As part of the TOS Homeschool Crew, I received a free copy of "Good Morning God" by Apologia Press in exchange for my honest review.  It is available for $14.00 and there is also a coloring book available to accompany it  for $4.00.

Based on Deuteronomy 6:6-7 "These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up." "Good Morning, God" is a beautifully illustrated story of a week in the life of a 4 year old boy.  A story of his comings and goings, and inviting the Lord to be the most important part of it all.  This may seem like a silly thing, but I appreciated a page that said "In the school room, I color a picture." with a sweet illustration of the child and his siblings in their homeschool room.  It is so refreshing to find a children's story written for homeschoolers when most of the time there are books about children getting on the bus or sitting in class, etc.  This book is geared towards children ages 1-8.  My almost 2 year old and her 4 year old brother absolutely love this book.  Each day has a repetition that they love.  My 4 year recites with me "Good night, Sunday. Goodnight, God" for each day as my 1 year old says, "Na-night!" in her loudest possible voice!  It is so sweet.  

click to enlarge
Each day has a new and quite deep concept for them to think about.  Thinking about heaven,  thankfulness, salvation, jesus death, resurrection, and second coming, and much more.  The topics don't go deep, but open the door for your child to ask questions and spark discussion.  The back of the book has a "Questions and Activities" section for each day of the week to help with this.  There are scriptures, discussion questions and activity suggestions that are age appropriate.

click to enlarge
click to enlarge
I thought this book was very sweet.  I love a well written story with beautiful illustrations.  I have very much enjoyed reading it to my younger children.  I will mention that my 6 year old did not appreciate the simplicity of the story as much as the younger two.  He lost interest quite quickly.  If I were to put an age bracket on this book it would be 1 year - Kindergarten.

No comments: