Pages

Friday, February 25, 2011

Kefir - Take 2

Kefir, which means "feel good" in Turkish, is an ancient cultured, enzyme-rich food filled with friendly micro-organisms that help balance your "inner ecosystem" to maintain optimal health and strengthen immunity.
Among its many beneficial powers, Kefir:Kefir's tart and refreshing flavor is similar to a drinking-style yogurt, and it contains beneficial yeast as well as the friendly 'probiotic' bacteria found in yogurt. When used regularly, the naturally occurring bacteria and yeast in Kefir combine symbiotically to help balance your intestinal flora and boost your immunity.
  • Provides supplemental nourishment for pregnant and nursing women*
  • Contributes to your healthy immune system
  • Promotes a relaxing effect on the nervous system and benefit many who seek a restful night's sleep
  • Helps support your normal intestinal tract function, promote bowel movements and your healthy digestive system -- and is beneficial after the use of antibiotics to restore balance to the digestive tract
  • Curbs unhealthy food cravings by making your body more nourished and balanced

________________________________________________


A couple of years ago I had some kefir grains that I purchased online.  I guess I was not very motivated to care for them.  For some reason it seemed like a really big responsibility.  And the fact that no one in my family would drink it became an issue too.  So, needless to say...  I let my little kefir buddies die. =(


A couple of weeks ago, Justin's Aunt Jodi gave me some more grains.  Our family had already been doing fruit smoothies (and sometimes green smoothies) daily, so it seemed like a perfect time to try kefir again.  This time it's gone much better!  I'm not sure why I thought taking care of these babies was such a big deal.  It's incredibly easy!  


Here's how I do it:

My kefir grains will sit on my kitchen counter in a glass jar (do not use metal) with about a cup of whole milk at room temperature for 24-48 hours.  Today's kefir will be used in a banana, apple, orange smoothie!



I don't know exactly were I purchased this funnel, but it has a strainer inside.  Perfect for catching the grains and letting the kefir pass through to the glass measuring cup.



I dump the whole jar of kefir and grains into the strainer.  


kefir with grains

Sometimes the whey separates from the kefir and that is just fine.  I just mix it back in after.  The consistency is like a sour cream or a thin yogurt. It may take a few minutes to work the kefir through the strainer.  Gently shaking the strainer helps.  Use only plastic utensils with kefir.  Metal can kill the grains.
kefir grains

I don't usually rinse my kefir grains, but I did here so that you could see what they look like.  They've got kind of a rubbery texture to them.  Once you've strained off the kefir, put the grains in a clean jar.  The grains will multiply and grow over time, so be prepared to share some with your friends!


Juliette likes to help mama stir the kefir.

Fill with milk, cover lightly so as to let air get into the jar and wait another 24 hours!  That's it!  It takes all of 5 minutes every day and the kefir is SO SO good for you!

Isaac, my pickiest eater, loves kefir smoothies!
We use it in smoothies every day.  I've also used it in muffins.  But my favorite was in pancakes!  YUMM!

No comments: