Reading/Phonics
All About Spelling - Level 1 (I am planning to put both boys in the same level to establish a foundation, but expect that Isaac will move at a much faster pace than Levi.)
Handwriting
Peterson Directed Handwriting
Language Arts
First Language Lessons for a Well Trained Mind
(I'm still up in the air on this one. I've been looking for a multi-sensory approach to language arts. Any suggestions?)
Math
Math U See
Isaac: Finishing up Alpha and moving on to Beta
Levi: Primer
Science
Apologia Young Explorer Series: Exploring Creation with Astronomy
Literature/History
Continuing with The Little House on the Prairie Series
Bible
Scripture memory
Big Truths for Little Kids: Teaching Your Children to Live for God
Read-N-Grow Picture Bible
Here Comes Heaven!: A Kid's Guide to God's Supernatural Power
4 comments:
Hi Angie--I hope you don't mind me "butting in". We briefly met at Jen's Scentsy/Discovery Toys party, I am Danielle's Scentsy Sponsor.
Anywho...I'm a teacher and I love this post! I'm commenting to ask a question/provide insight.
Are you required (by the state or homeschooling group, etc.) to buy a curriculum for Language Arts at your children's grade level? If not, and you feel comfortable lesson planning, I would suggest just getting some educational resources as a starting point instead of (or maybe in addition to) the First Launguage Lessons for a Well Trained Mind. You mentioned wanting a multi-sensory approach to ELA and frankly, from the description of the book (copywork, classical approach) this does NOT seem like what you want!
On the other hand, I'm willing to bet you're more versed with homeschooling that I am. If you're able and willing to adapt the lessons to what you want to do, then I say go for it!
Just wanted to add my thoughts!
Hi Samantha!
Thanks for the question!
To answer, No I'm not required to use anything in particular. The laws in Maine are very laid back in that regard. I will have to do a portfolio of the material we have covered at the end of the year and have it reviewed by a licensed teacher.
I did opt to purchase the First Language Lessons because the lessons are very short, so the fact that it is not multi sensory I don't believe will be a huge issue. I do tend to lean towards a Charlotte Mason style of teaching which is very literature based and emphasizes reading comprehension and narration.
Though, because I am an extremely visual/kinesthetic learner, and not knowing yet what my children's learning styles are completely, I like to look for multi-sensory curriculums. Since First Language Lessons is so affordable, I'm comfortable that if it's not a great fit for us we can switch to something else with out much financial loss. And as you said, adapting the lessons and adding on a multi-sensory activity is a possibility too.
Thanks for the input! I really appreciate it! =)
You're totally right! It's affordable and not a huge investment. I hope it works out well for you! Good luck for this coming school year!
Looks like fun! We're reading On the Banks of Plum Creek right now. I just started Teaching Hearts, Training minds with Nemo, which uses the Westminster Shorter Catechism. He LOVES memorizing stuff, so I found it to be quite useful in answering his questions about God. A friend of a friend is giving us their manipulative math program (the name of which escapes me right now, ugh!), and I'm playing around with different idease for other subjects. Next year, for social studies I want to start making a family tree, starting with people we know and then as he gets older doing more research to go further back. Oh yes, and we're also beginning Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons, which so far kind of bores him because we had already used the first concepts in our daily life, but he is excited about being able to read! I guess I'll stop there. Did you do "preschool" for either of your boys?
Post a Comment